Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bread Sticks



I made up this recipe about 10 years ago. About a year or so later I was asked to some bring bread sticks to a homemaking night. I brought a bunch of these. I gave the recipe to a few people who "just had to have it." Last year as I was sitting at a youth activity I was served these very same bread sticks. I recognized them at once! To my surprise, when I asked where the recipe came from, the young man said... "this is my mom's bread stick recipe, she is the best cook!" His mom was one of the ladies who asked for the recipe. It's funny how recipes travel.


Deanna's Bread Sticks

1 Tbsp. yeast 1 Tbsp powered milk
3 cups flour 1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt 1 1/3 cup warm water
2 Tbsp. sugar

Put into bread machine or mix by hand and knead for 10 minutes. let rest for 10 minutes. Knead again for 10 minutes. When the dough is ready, roll out to 1/2 inch thick and cut into strips. Place on a greased cookie sheet.

Topping:
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder 1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp. lemon and herb seasoning (McCormick makes this)
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
salt
Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients, except cheese. Brush butter mixture on bread sticks after you put them on the pan and before they rise. Sprinkle with salt and Parmesan cheese. Let rise for 30 to 40 minutes. Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned.

1 comment:

  1. Hence the Name: Deanna's Breadsticks. thanks for posting this. I will make it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete